Saturday, January 6, 2007

Saturday, January 6, 2007

Today was a great day! It was our last day in London, so we decided to see a couple of shows. I saw "Wicked" this afternoon - it was a "peak" entertainment experience! The sets were amazing, and the cast was outstanding in every respect. The role of Elphaba is incredibly demanding vocally, and Kerry Ellis was stunning in its execution. It was one of the few times I've actually been "moved" by a musical, especially during the duet "For Good". The song is a powerful statement about the friendship between the Elphaba and Glenda. Here is an excerpt:

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good
We should all be so fortunate to have friendships like this! I just saw an article saying that "Wicked" set the all-time box office record this week for a London production. It is easy to see why.
While I was seeing "Wicked", David Patton, Bruce Stegmann, and Jennifer Pippin saw "Evita". They were equally impressed with the show. Jennifer said it was probably her favorite production she's seen. Meanwhile, Mindy Johnson set her own record for most stores visited in a single shopping spree!
The other show we all saw tonight was "Dancing in the Street". This is a Motown revue that features a cast of 15 in a non-stop musical tribute to the top music and artists from the Motown era. The cast was good - especially the women - and the show moved along without any lulls. The last 15 minutes of the show featured a an audience sing-along-dancing-in-the-aisles segment that was very well received by the crowd. After all, you can't miss with Motown!
We're out of here early in the morning. Looking forward to that 8-hour flight back! (NOT!) It will be nice to be back home to see the family tomorrow night. So long to London...until next time!

No comments: