Friday, May 4, 2007

Friday, May 4, 2007

Last Friday, I had a peak experience. When I was in high school in Birmingham, Alabama, I spent most of my time being involved with my youth group at Canterbury United Methodist Church. The youth director at the time was Leon Precise, a terrific youth leader and a very influential force in literally thousands of young lives during his tenure at Canterbury. After 38 years of service to the church, Leon retired last week. All of my high school friends came together for a giant retirement bash in tribute to Leon. It was truly awesome! It was the first time I had seen all of my best friends from high school since I graduated in 1974. We had a blast talking about old times and trying to catch up on our life experiences over these past years. Time was short, so we barely had a chance to scratch the surface. Here are some shots of the old gang. It was I night I will always remember with great fondness.
Here's Dawn, Mike, and Carla. Dawn and I sang together all the time for youth group gatherings. Mike and I had a lawn mowing service together one summer.
This is Lou, Anne, and Lynn - some of my best friends from church and high school.
Leon is the guy seated in the front. I am in the second row in the center.
This is Kathy and Tim Parsons. They were high school sweethearts, but went separate ways and married other spouses. They eventually reunited and married after the sudden death of Kathy's first husband. We are planning a summer weekend reunion so we can pick up where we all left off at Leon's dinner. It was great to see Kathy and Tim!




No comments: